EDAR 531: Encountering the Arts: Choice, Voice and Creativity in the K-8 Classroom
An Introduction to Arts Integration through Thematic Learning 4.5 CEUs
This course meets in person for two Saturdays (8-4pm) at the Viles Arboretum, Augusta, Maine
COURSE DATES: First Weekend Starts Saturday, September 22, 8am -4pm. Second Weekend -- Saturday, December 1, 8am-4pm. Inter-session work is done online.
This K-8 course will offer direct experiences in the arts in a thematic, project based learning environment.
Drama, Movement, Music, Poetry, Storytelling, and Visual Arts will be practiced across content areas: Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading and Writing. Understanding the potential to meet all learners in a supportive, empathetic, thematic based environment will be at the heart of the course. We will look closely at theorists and practitioners advocating for freedom, choice and creativity.
Participants will be supported to make connections from their own experiences and apply learning to their disciplines and grade levels through opportunities to integrate the arts in an emerging student choice based curriculum.
Working collaboratively and individually, we will gather and develop skills, create curriculum and problem solve ways to address necessary content, standards and challenges. Throughout the course personal work, questioning, art making and journaling will guide us to deepen our practice.
Participants will meet in person for two Saturdays (8am-4pm), with approximately 10 weeks of inter-session work online. A follow-up summative paper documenting the learning in the course is required.
Laptops are required for the course. Internet will be required for the course. All resources will be accessible to participants on a Google Classroom site. Additional handouts will be provided.
Integrating the Arts - Pascal / Donovan
In the Spirit of the Studio - Lella Gandini
Assessment Visible Learners - Mara Krechevsky and Ben Mardell, Theory Pedagogy of the Oppressed - Paolo Freire, 100 Languages of Children - Loris Malaguzzi
Upon successful completion of this course, educators will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how the arts can support a variety of learning styles in the classroom.
- Understand the relationship between listening and responding when designing emerging, thematic learning.(course model this)
- Experience, practice and reflect on cross disciplinary thematic curricula using the arts. - in cohort and on our own
- Apply useful resources and make connections between the arts and other content areas.
- Analyze, share and apply resources from theorists and practicing educators.
- Design quality arts integrated lesson plans and units.
- Immerse in the creative process and share experiences and learning with students.
- Apply instructional strategies for Gifted and Talented students