Instructor: Alyson Spearin
Teachers, literacy specialists, interventionists and educational technicians will consider best practices in delivering and reinforcing literacy instruction. This course considers foundational literacy knowledge with practical application for Pre-K through elementary school classrooms.
Barone, D. M., & Mallette, M. H. (2013). Best practices in early literacy instruction. The Guilford Press. This is available as a Kindle book or paperback. The most inexpensive way to purchase it is on the publisher’s website: https://www.guilford.com/books/Best-Practices-in-Early-Literacy-Instruction/Barone-Mallette/9781462511563).
Other resources will be published in Google Classroom.
Upon completion of this course, participants will gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for best practices in literacy. Participants will:
Understand and apply the concepts and strategies for improving literacy instruction with their students
- Develop a plan of action to apply what they have learned for effective literacy instruction
Topics Included in Course:
- Influences on Literacy Development
- Parent Involvement Supporting Early Literacy Achievement: Best Practices for Bridging the Home and School Environments
- A Comprehensive Approach to Building Oral Language in Preschool: Prerequisites for Literacy
- Working with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students: Lessons Learned from Reading Recovery
- Supporting Language and Literacy Development in Quality Preschools
- Materials and Texts
- Early Literacy Development in the Digital Age
- What, When, and How Electronic Media Can Be Used in an Early Literacy Classroom
- New Perspectives on Literature for Young Children
- Read All About I.T.! Informational Text in the Early Childhood Classroom
- Reconceptualizing Developmentally Appropriate Practice
- Phonological Awareness and Alphabet Knowledge: The Foundations of Early Reading
- Reading to Learn from the Beginning: Comprehension Instruction in the Primary Grades
- Best Practices in Oral Vocabulary Instruction
- Real Books, Real Reading: Effective Fluency Instruction for Striving Readers
- Best Practices in Early Writing Instruction
- Strengthening Play in Early Literacy Teaching Practice
- Intervention and Assessment
- “How Am I Doing?”: Students’ Perceptions of Literacy and Themselves
- The Interactive Strategies Approach to Early Literacy Intervention
- An Evidence-Based Approach to Response to Intervention
To Register, click on Registration Form in the Menu Bar.