EDPU 587: Advanced Music Assessment in the Classroom, K-12
Pre-requisite/s: Successful completion of EDPO 540: Refining Assessment in the Music Classroom, K-12, or prior approval from the instructor (contact information listed below).COURSE DATES: This course meets on two weekend sessions: Friday, Sept. 25 (4-8pm), Saturday, Sept. 26 (8-4pm) Friday, Feb. 12 (4-8pm), Saturday, Feb. 13 (8-4pm) COURSE LOCATION: Burlington College 351 North Avenue Burlington, VT 05401
“Only the curious will learn… the quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient.” ~ Edmund S. Wilson (1895-1972)
The Advanced Music Assessment course if a further exploration and study of assessment practices in the K-12 music classroom. The course will bring practical strategies to the challenges of implementing current educational philosophy in the classroom. Using music assessment to further improve teaching and learning, the course will also explore the new proposed drafts of the National Arts Standards, work on unpacking standards, building rubrics, designing assignments, and assessments of these standards.
- A laptop is required.
- All of the resources for the course will be accessible to participants on a wiki site and some pre-reading materials will be required.
- Additional hand-outs will be provided.
- Upon successful completion of this course, educators will be able to:
- Articulate recent trends in assessment and clear connections to their own classrooms.
- Develop and implement a personalized plan of instruction and assessment to their own classrooms.
- Network ideas and strategies with other music and Arts colleagues in the field.
- Develop a meaningful approach to ongoing analysis and modification of their own instructional practices.
- Articulate a clear connection between music assessment and music advocacy in their own schools and communities.