The New England Institute for Teacher Education is committed to helping teachers get excellent quality professional development. "Teachers" includes classroom and specialist teachers, administrators, educational technicians, parents and adults interested in learning and growing in their field. We also partner with the Maine Arts Leadership Initiative, offering courses and other professional development in arts education.
- NEI offers studies of excellence and depth in education and liberal arts to any adult learner, including, but not limited to, teachers, administrators, and educational technicians. 4.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) (the equivalent of 45 contact hours, or one course) are awarded for each course. These professional development courses may apply toward initial teacher certification, recertification, or endorsements.
- Student-centered, participatory learning
- Small group professional learning communities
- Low teacher-to-student ratio
- On-site, hybrid, and online courses
- Scheduling face-to-face sessions with adult learners’ schedules in mind
- *Understanding and appreciating public education in a democracy
- *Engagement with the critical issues of our times
- *Knowing that we teach through who we are and what we do
- *Knowing the learner
- *Knowing the subject
- *Applying research to best practices